“Trauma is the most avoided, ignored, denied, misunderstood and untreated cause of human suffering.” — Peter A. Levine, Ph.D., Founder of Somatic Experiencing®
For individuals who have suffered from trauma, Michele L. Kong offers her calm, compassionate presence to bear witness in addressing and recovering from unspeakable events.
Often associated with war, domestic abuse and other violent events, trauma can also result from other incidents, which are often diminished. People can feel overwhelmed by what are commonly thought of as everyday events impacting both individuals and communities alike: automobile accidents, routine invasive medical procedures, grief, loss, sexual and/or physical assault, natural disasters, ongoing corrosive stressors of fear and conflict among other potentially threatening circumstances. Becoming traumatized may result from feeling overwhelmed in relation to a single incident or through the accumulation of stress over time. The events on their own do not cause trauma. Trauma develops when a person’s body, psyche and nervous system fail to respond and adequately process adverse events. The effects of trauma can be long-lasting and pervasive.
Somatic Experiencing (SE™) is:
- a profound, transformative method for resolving symptoms as a result of trauma and chronic stress
- a psychobiological approach that addresses the root cause of trauma symptoms
- a way of supporting the completion of self-protective (i.e. fight/flight/freeze) responses and the release of survival energy bound in the body
Somatic Experiencing does not require a person to fully re-tell or re-live traumatic events.
Instead, Somatic Experiencing is a therapeutic process that:
- gently guides clients in a slow and supportive fashion
- facilitates awareness of the instinctual responses
- offers an opportunity to engage corrective experiences
- develops increasing tolerance for difficult sensations and emotions
- often resets the nervous system
- restores inner balance
- enhances resilience to stress
- increases people’s vitality and capacity to actively engage in life
Using her advanced training in SE™, Michele works with people to balance both stress and vitality supporting clients to broaden their capacity for self-regulation, resiliency, growth and empowerment. She specializes in working with adults who experience(d):
- Abuse as children
- Chronic pain
- Developmental trauma
- Difficulties after medical or dental procedure(s)
- Frozen shoulder
- Grief and loss
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Natural disasters
- Post-traumatic stress syndrome
- Post-traumatic symptoms
- Sexual abuse
- Symptoms which often move throughout the body and remain elusive to medical treatment/diagnosis
- Syndromes: autoimmune disorders, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel, migraines, spastic colon etc.
- Toxic shame
From personal experiences with SE™ that were profoundly life-changing, Michele was so moved and became a Somatic Experiencing Practitioner. She is very passionate about sharing the healing and transformational possibilities of Somatic Experiencing with others. She is committed to supporting people suffering as a result of trauma to live with greater ease, choices, meaning, presence and vitality. What Michele loves about working with people to recover from trauma is the awe-inspiring power of life energy. In each individual there is an unstoppable, indestructible aliveness that remains untarnished by the difficult, horrific and tragic events that people endure and survive. Michele reveres this source of aliveness, which is inherently wise, whole and healing.
For more information, please contact Michele.